Wednesday, June 17, 2009

HEBRON REFLECTION: One little boy | Christian Peacemaker Teams

HEBRON REFLECTION: One little boy | Christian Peacemaker Teams

"Eventually I learned the nature of his crime. He had thrown a stone at one of their military posts. I pictured my grandson's myriad of toys. This little boy did not have such a bounty of things to amuse him. Stones can be fun and keep the boredom at bay for a little while.

"As I struggled to reach the little boy's hand, I said to the soldier: " Don't you have little brothers who might play with stones? Besides, he has only a stone. You're the one who has a gun. "The soldier responded, "His parents have not taught him not to throw stones. We must teach him a lesson. He is a terrorist." It was not the first time I heard an Israeli soldier make such a preposterous statement. I kept talking as I managed to put my arm around the openly crying, desperately frightened little boy. The soldiers finally relented, and one little boy managed to go home unharmed. But was he really unharmed?"

No comments: