Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Ignorant Righteous v. The Lower Merion School District: The Rush to Judgment | CommonDreams.org

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this lawsuit, or its news coverage, disturbing. At least 500 other people in Lower Merion Township (where I used to live) do, too.

h/t David A.

The Ignorant Righteous v. The Lower Merion School District: The Rush to Judgment | CommonDreams.org

In the case as it is described in the complaint, we are presented with vague allegations leaving much to inference. Nowhere does it state basic facts like who took the alleged photo, what it showed or where the school district saw it, or whether the feature was activated because the computer was reported lost or whether there was a deliberate attempt to spy on a student in legal possession of a computer. Rather it omits these vital facts with bearing on the merits of the case, and jumps to inferring cyber spying with a view toward pedophilia...

Here is something I understand: all students in the school district were aware of the existence of the webcam feature on their computers as well as the district's laptop recovery capability; the only oversight that is indisputable is that the district did not require written consent specific to this aspect of the program. Here's another: There were eighteen computers recovered after 42 separate instances of activating the recovery software in a district with more than 2000 computers out on loan. And a third: there were no official complaints made to the district about the existence of this software, or about the methods used to recover those lost computers, until one student went, without any discussion, from being asked, as far back as November 11, 2009, about his possible involvement in activities prohibited by the school -- after a snapshot was allegedly taken of him on a laptop that, it is alleged, had been reported missing -- to a class action lawsuit in February.

Read more...

1 comment:

Joan Gunn Broadfield said...

While I agree the bias most news has reflected in reporting the computer incident at the school, there were, in fact, concerns raised by students - Marty Moss Coan, I believe, reported. While I agree that the details are too sketchy to know all details, there are some legitimate issues that hopefully the saner moments of processing this will get to. I wonder why the school does not use a GPS system, for instance, rather than spyware, to track where the computer is. I wonder why students' concerns were not given more respect. Was the school saving money by have in-house folk creating such a system without really good oversight?

Thanks for sharing this post!!