Commentary: It takes courage to end a recession - CNN.com:
At a time when record numbers of people are out of work, there's a palpable need for better service. If a new sprinkler guy appeared in Savannah and answered Brad's call, he'd get the job. If an auto body shop were willing to take my car tomorrow, I'd give it to them.And the bar has never been so low. If you want to sell insurance, simply let me know when you're on vacation and you'll have a leg up on the person I'm using.
...The suspension fork on my mountain bike recently died, and I brought it to several bike shops, none of which would repair it. "That bike is 15 years old," they all said in one way or another, "you need to buy a new one."But I didn't want to buy a new one. So I kept asking around until I met Estella at Eddie's Bicycle Shop, a tiny hole in the wall. She repaired it with enthusiasm. Now she gets all my business.
Companies who are understaffed would do well to start hiring and training. This is an opportune time for smaller companies and even people who are out of work to compete against more established concerns by promptly, politely and effectively responding to customer needs.
...it's courage that will stop this recession: The courage to start businesses and to invest in the ones that already exist. To hire people and to train them.
The demand is there. It's the courage to meet this demand that will distinguish the winners in this ever-changing economy.

No comments:
Post a Comment