Friday, August 21, 2009

Ladies: I'm not your gay boyfriend | Salon Life

Ladies: I'm not your gay boyfriend | Salon Life:

For most of gay history, the fag hag held a coveted spot. 'They're the unsung heroes of the gay world,' says Shawn Hollenbach, the creator of New York's Miss Fag Hag Pageant. It was a mutually fulfilling relationship: Men got the appearance of heterosexual legitimacy and intimacy free of sexual tension; women got a touch of glamour and performance and exoticism. But most of the overeager, self-described 'fag hags' I encountered in my early 20s had nothing of the brazen outsider about them: They were demure, and conventional -- with square-jawed boyfriends and glittery sweat pants and seemingly little understanding of gay culture. 'After 'Will & Grace,' women would suddenly ask me to take them shopping,' says Hollenbach. 'I'd ask if they like 'Mommie Dearest,' and they'd tell me no.'

No comments: